I remember when I went to the director of the program and asked if I could help out. She asked when I wanted to help out and I told the truth - whenever I'm needed. She just about cried, cause she was having such a difficult time filling the void for Saturday night teachers. So I was matched up right away with a wonderful, experienced teacher and I began.
I loved it! I was teaching a 4th grade class with a truly great lady. This woman had been teaching Sunday School for my whole life and was just the sweetest, kindest and gentlest woman I knew. There was no one better to learn from. I was so fortunate to have her as a mentor.
As for the kids - they were a group! Right out of the bat, we had some of the biggest attitudes. But that's what made them so fun. I loved getting to know them, teaching them new things and really being challenged by them. We had so much fun too! I made myself open to them - hosted pool parties and sleepovers to celebrate big events. I really loved my time with them. Even though it could have been seen as a sacrifice to give up 2 hours of my Saturdays every week, I simply loved it. This was an opportunity I couldn't have had anywhere else.
No comments:
Post a Comment