Friday, January 30, 2009

30/365 Early college

I started college with a chip on my shoulder. I was a school I didn't want to be at and there was just no pleasing me. It didn't help that I had a craptastic schedule since I had to take the only courses that were available 3 weeks before school started. I had a math class (least favorite subject) at 8:00 am and my next class that day was at 5:00 pm! Super craptastic seeing as how I had to commute and those were the worst times to travel in Miami. 

The library and I became good friends that semester. 

I was also dealing with the feeling that I had been left behind. All my other friends went away to school - I was the only one left in Miami and living at home. Not that my parents aren't awesome and that it was nice to have my own car, but I envied their Independence. So I did a lot of living vicariously. 

Also I was reeling from the social change at church. As soon as you finished 12th grade, you were "promoted" from being a youth to being an adult. No more youth age based Sunday school - straight into adult Sunday school. Which at the time slot I went to church meant about 60 people all in one room with ages ranging from 18 - 80 and most concentrated in their 40's and 50's. The first time my friends and I went, we were surrounded by people our parents age, some who had diapered us when were babies! Way too much at once. 

Once college began, I got involved with the college ministry team at church. Anything to avoid having to go back to Adult Sunday School! It was slow going, but kind of fun. It felt like we were creating something out of nothing. We had a lot of great conversations, some really interesting retreats and the confidence to make what we needed for ourselves and for others. It was one of the first times that I felt like what I had to say mattered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment