Thursday, January 29, 2009

29/365 College - The Big Decision

I never questioned if I would go to college, but simply which college I would go to. I find that quite interesting consider I'm the first in my immediate family to graduate college. Both my parents attended and my father earned his AA, but I'm the first to earn a Bachelor's in a while. 

While my friends were applying to many schools, I only applied to two. University of Miami (and only because my then boyfriend attended and wanted me to go there) and Baylor. I didn't bother with any of the state schools, even though everyone urged me to. I knew I had no interest in FSU or UF. I never visited Baylor, but it just seemed like the place I was meant to go to. 

I applied to and was accepted to both. I was offered a 3/4 scholarship to UM but still didn't want to attend. I saw no point in coming up with still that much tuition. Baylor offered me a music scholarship, but I had to enter as a Cello Major. This was not something I wanted and at this point I was very confused. 

It never occurred to me that I wouldn't go to Baylor. I just knew I would. So when I was thrown this curve ball, I wasn't sure how to deal. I spend hours with my representative on the phone trying to figure out another way. In the end, all that was resolved was that I could start as a music major, taking the required first year core classes for music majors and after that year was finished I could switch majors and would most likely earn an academic scholarship. 

But those required courses would have added a whole extra year onto my college experience and I just couldn't do it. I had to make the very difficult decision to turn them down. I had already spoken with my dorm roommate on the phone, we had planned who would bring what, in my head I was already there. 

But come the end of June - months after everyone else knew where they were going to school - I had to figure it out. I ended up applying to Florida International University and was accepted. My grades and courses in high school earned me a full scholarship with a books stipend. By all accounts I should have been thrilled. 

But I wasn't. I was petty, selfish and angry. I had no gratitude at all. I stomped my foot like a petulant 3 year old and basically threw a big old temper tantrum. 

It took me about 6 months, but I finally got it through my thick skull that I was better off staying in Miami. But it was a painful realization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment