By the way, that simple question alone might be why so many people struggle to differentiate what they do from who they are. We don't ask children what they want to do when they grown up, we ask them who they want to be. As if what you do and who are you are are the same thing. I'm pretty sure most people would disagree with that...
I wasn't entirely sure. I knew what I enjoyed and what I was good at. School was fun and learning came easy to me. I thought maybe education would be a good path for me to go down. I also realized I really enjoyed working with children. I had an ability to communicate to children in a way that helped them understand a new topic without feeling as if they were being talked down to.
Mostly, what I knew was that I really enjoyed working with people. The idea of doing something that would take me away from regularly interacting with people in real, authentic ways seemed foreign to me.
I knew I wanted to do something that would allow me to really get to know others, beyond the "what did you watch on TV last night" level.
With that in mind, I began to volunteer at my church. I signed up to help out at every chance. Vacation Bible School, summer camp, retreats - any and everything I was old enough to do. And I liked it. I was good at it.
So I began to realize I was heading towards something.
No comments:
Post a Comment