I was waiting for them to review my results and there was an older woman in the same waiting lounge area. She inquired why I was there and I told her. She seemed really impressed that I was considering volunteering. She went on an on about how teenagers today are selfish, stupid, and delinquents. She went on a rant for about 15 minutes.
I sat and politely nodded. She asked what else I was doing for volunteer work and I told her. I mentioned the church volunteering and she asked what church I went to. I told her the name and she quickly replied - "Oh, you must be one of those fire and brimstone girls".
Huh?
I asked what she meant. She said because I was Baptist, that I was a fire and brimstone girl. You know, always telling others they are going to go to hell and fire and brimstone are going to rain down on their heads for their wicked deeds.
I was floored.
I politely told her no, that I had never heard of that before and I didn't believe that anyways.
Luckily, my appointment was called then and the conversation was over. By the time I was done, she was gone.
I was surprised that after spending 20 minutes talking to me, getting to know a little about me and even commenting that I seemed like a very respectable, polite teenager - she was so quick to label me because of the church I attended.
I also decided that I would do my best to eliminate that stereotype by how I live my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment