Around church, the talk was, "What is God calling you to do?". What is God calling you to do? Ummm, I don't know! How can you tell what God's call is?
Defining how to recognize God's call became a big deal in my life. It also ended up coloring how I view organized religion. But that is another day....
It was decided that God will speak to you when God wants to - not when you ask. Not very convenient for college admission deadlines.
God will speak to you when you are in God's will. That means - when you are obeying God's rules and doing what God wants. Unless you aren't and God still wants to get your attention. Then God might speak to you anyway.
God will speak to you through the desires of your heart, unless they are not what God wants. Then you must ignore the desires of your heart.
God will speak to you through scripture. But maybe not if you are purposefully reading only what you want to see and avoiding what you don't want.
God will speak to you through pastors. Don't even get me started.
At the end of the day - no one really knows how God speaks to us. Maybe that's because it's different for every person. Maybe that's because it's not happening. Maybe that's because we don't have words to describe it. I'm not entirely sure.
There are times when I have felt that God was speaking to me, telling me something. But a few times, I have been wrong. So I'm no expert.
At the end of the day - I never heard a clear calling on what I was to do with my life. At least not in high school.
Later on..... well.... that is also a story for another day.
Later on..... well.... that is also a story for another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment