My faith journey began at the young age of two, when my dear neighbor and first babysitter took me along to her church. She loved and I loved her, so I also love her church. It was a fun place to be and eventually I began asking my parents to take me all the time. As I grew up and began elementary school, I attended Sunday School and Wednesday choir and loved it. The teachers were sweet and kind and gave us snacks. I knew most of the time the answer was Jesus and that when they asked for prayer requests, I could talk about anything that was happening to everyone I knew. Even my friend at schools cousin on her dad's side once removed. I was really good at prayer requests.
Since this was a baptist church, I got to see lots of baptisms. I loved baptisms because it meant that we got to take a break from Sunday School and go in the large worship center to watch the baptisms. It was so strange and cool to see grown people go into a small swimming pool in long white robes right in a church! I always hoped they would splash and the water would go over the sides and wet the choir. Everyone was so happy and then the whole church would sing. Us kids got to sit right in the front of the church and watch and then we got to leave before the boring talking began. Baptism Sundays were very good.
There were times I didn't understand some stuff, but for the most part it was like school. I knew enough to get most of the answers right and the teachers liked me - so it was all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment