I've been re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia this month. I never read them or really even knew about them as a child - the first time I read them I was in my mid 20's. I fell in love with them immediately. I thoroughly enjoyed the movies recently made (plot errors and all).
As I explore them again, I find myself wishing I was in Narnia. Oh, to find the magical wardrobe and enter Lantern Wood. Getting to meet the Animals and journey through a world removed from my own.

I long for that purity of faith that Lucy Pevensie has. She never questions whether or not Aslan will come, even when he's been gone for a thousand years. She just knows it.
But even sweet Lucy struggled. When she saw Aslan (book: Prince Caspian) off in the distance and knew that they were supposed to go that direction, the others told her no. Rather than following what she knew to be right, she turned her back (though she did protest) on Aslan.
“I couldn't have left the others and come up to you alone, how could I? Don't look at me like that… oh well, I suppose I could. Yes, and it wouldn't have been alone, I know, not if I was with you.” –Lucy
“To know that would have happened, child? No. Nobody is ever told that. But anyone can find out what will happen. If you go back to the others now, and wake them up; and tell that you have seen me again; and that you must all get up at once and follow me—what will happen? There is only one way of finding out.” - Aslan
Isn't that our great struggle? We want to know what would happen before we do anything. We want to have that confidence that all will be safe and alright. We want the ones we love and respect to agree with us all the time and validate our decisions.
But alas, life is not that way. Sometimes, to do what is right, we must leave the ones we love. Not because they are bad, wrong, stupid or destitute, but because each person's journey is their own.
When I grow up, I want to be like Lucy. I want to know and follow the Lion no matter what.

No comments:
Post a Comment