Saturday, March 14, 2009

73/365 Ten Years Later (part 10)

I realized that there were a few things that just "weren't right" during camp. Again, hindsight is always 20/20. But at the time, I just rolled with it. I didn't realize that they were little injuries that were building up into something very big. 

It's seems so silly and simple. Sleeping arrangements. 

I know. Sleeping arrangements. Whatever!

During the first quick, overnight camp, I slept in a cabin with some of the other leaders who were there, but who weren't counselors. It was just one night, it was easy. 

That was a little strange - because one of the perks of being the intern was sleeping in an air conditioned room with it's own bathroom. Doesn't seem like a big deal - but all the cabins are NOT air conditioned and the only bathrooms are in the center of camp (also with no ac). 

There is one building with some window units. Three rooms are in that building. One is for the nurse (sick kids need peace, quiet and ac). It had a private toilet and shower - very nice! The other two were air conditioned and had private toilets only. They were for the camp cooks and for the head people (including the interns). Only 4 beds in the leaders room - one for big boss, other boss, intern and extra. 

When it came time to make sleeping arrangements for the second, harder, longer camp - I was informed that I was not sleeping in the leadership room. 

What? 

All the previous interns had!

Where was I supposed to sleep? 

I was so confused. 

Turned out that the new administrative assistant (who I was beginning to be friends with) was going to be sleeping in the leaders room. Why? Dunno. 

The other bed was for the big boss's daughter. She wanted to come, but was too young to be a counselor. So there. 

I was hurt. I felt that was a time to bond, to talk, to connect with each other. During the day we run around like crazy women - quiet, restful times are the only down times. 

I ended up rooming with the nurse (who is a woman I adore) and just ignored it. But the wound was created. 

No comments:

Post a Comment