Friday, March 6, 2009

65/365 Ten years ago (part 4)

The Kamp weeks. 

I have described in detail how much I loved summer camp. I loved being there as a camper, I loved being there as a counselor. I loved the late nights, early mornings and non-stop days. I loved the little sleep, sunburns and cold showers. I loved all of it. 

As the weeks counted down to the big summer children's camp (known as Kamp, as in Kamp for Kids - not my idea, but kind of cute) I was excited. I viewed it as a chance to dive deep into something that I had loved all my life. I also believed I was going into it with eyes as wide open as possible. I knew how hard it was, I knew how much work it took, I knew how tired I would be. So I figured that it could be great. 

My responsibilities were pretty straight forward. I was responsible to recruiting the counselors (contacting previous counselors and putting out feelers for new ones). It wasn't my job to approve new people - that went to my boss. My job was to do the grunt work. Make the initial phone calls, send letters, get the info out. 

I also was responsible for creating art work, schedules and the very important counselors notebook. I got to create the games and fun events. I loved it!!!!!!!! Loved every second of it. 

But as time to camp got closer, more and more was left undone. This shouldn't be surprising - seeing as how the people who had run the camp for the past few years had been shuffled around. My boss was unsure what her boss wanted to do and her boss always seemed too busy to just give a straight forward answer. My boss simply didn't want to do somethings and kept putting them off. 

This didn't bode well for how things would go during the big event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment