I was a little worried, but felt like I was up to the challenge. Right away, I was thrown into it. I was handed the issue of "What do we do with 6th graders during SSS?"
SSS (Super Summer Spectacular - a version of Vacation Bible School) is for preschoolers through 5th graders. 6th graders are too old (they've already had a year of middle school) for the program, but are really too young to be volunteers. All older ages volunteer in different ways, but what do you do with kids that are just one year out of the program?
So I came up with an idea and floated it past my bosses. What if we had a special program for the 6th graders that gave them a chance to serve, but still kept a tight leash on them? We'd have a special class for them - give them a place to relax and hang out together for a little while, send them out for very specific jobs for 2 hours, then bring them back for a lesson geared to them.
The idea was accepted and I ran with it. It worked out really well too!
1 comment:
Great idea! I remember running that 6th grade class one summer at SSS. Those kids were spoiled, rude and very selfish at first. By the end of the week most of them straightened out...except for the Royalty's kids of course.
Sigh....
Post a Comment