I was not the speaker of this camp, but I was in charge of most of the activities. Each evening we had a big activity - a game, scavenger hunt, something that takes about 2 hours. It's got to be fun, engaging and tie into the messages being heard at camp. Basically it means creating something!
I decided to recycle a game we had done a few years back. It's similar to war games. Kids are in teams, they have to complete tasks that are silly, messy and a TON of fun. It's always been a big hit. Along with the activities, they also have group discussions with their counselors that help nail home a message. I wrote these and then designed incredibly silly and messy activities to go with them. I'm talking smearing vaseline on your face, peeling banana's with your toes, rummaging in a kiddie pool of chocolate pudding looking for prunes - very messy!!!!
I had been planning it for weeks and every member of the team was well acquainted with it. After all, we had done a version just two years ago. They knew how it would be done, where and the mess it entailed. Needless to say - there would be MAJOR clean up.
This was one of the pinnacle events of my time at camp. It was "my baby".
The kids adored it.
The counselors loved it.
It was crazy fun and ridiculously messy and just about every kid walked away saying they had a great time.
My bosses however - did not love it.
Even though they were fully aware of how it would go down, for some reason after the event they deemed it too messy. I was fully involved in the clean up - you better believe that. I would have been regardless. But when I asked for feedback, all I got were complaints about the mess.
I pushed back. Really? The mess? That was the only thing you could say?
I was told that we'd discuss it later.
I was told that we'd discuss it later.
No comments:
Post a Comment