Saturday, February 28, 2009

59/365

When I was in college, I saw and fell in love with the movie Patch Adams. 

Of course, Robin Williams is genius. He's funny, charismatic and insane. 

But beyond Robin Williams portrayal, I love the story. I love that this man had an idea of who to become. He had a goal, a person he wanted to be. He worked hard to make it happen and when there wasn't an easy place for him to be - he carved a unique place out in the world. 

I loved how the movie opened with his voice over and this part has always captured my mind. 

Home. The dictionary defines it as both a place of origin and a goal or destination. And the storm? The storm was all in my mind. Or as the poet Dante put it: In the middle of the journey of my life, I found myself in a dark wood, for I had lost the right path. Eventually I would find the right path, but in the most unlikely place. 

I love this. I believe that most people are searching for home. Either a memory they had from a younger time or an idea they have from what they think it should be. 

I realized then that I wanted to help people find home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment