Tuesday, February 3, 2009

34/365 It may be only play

"One word ma'am, one word. All you've been saying is quite right, I shouldn't wonder. I'm a chap who always liked to know the worst and then put the best face I can on it. So I won't deny any of what you said. But there's one thing more to be said even so. Suppose we have only dreamed or made up all those things; trees and grass and sun moon and stars and Aslan himself, suppose we have. Then all I say is that in that case, the made up things seem a good deal more important than the real ones. Suppose this black pit of a kingdom of yours is the only world. Well it strikes me a pretty poor one. And that's the funny thing when you come to think of it. We're just babies making up a game if you're right. Four babies playing  game can make a play world which licks your real world hollow. Which is why I 'm gonna stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there is no Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live like a Narnia if I can even if there is no Narnia." - Puddledglum's speech to the Witch, Silver Chair, C. S. Lewis


Finished the Silver Chair today and this speech jumped out at me. 

The truth is, we have no proof of God's realm in this world. It is like trying to describe the sun or a tree to someone who has never seen it. It comes off sounding like things here on earth, just bigger and better. Not very creative. 

We also have no proof what it will really be like. We some ideas, some poetry, some preachings, but no proof. Some have given their whole lives in pursuit of describing Heaven, but since they have not come back to tell us if they are right or wrong, we can only imagine. 

So the choice is ours. We can choose how to live. We can live like Narnian's, even if there is no Narnia. 


No comments:

Post a Comment