Tuesday, February 10, 2009

41/365 A fortunate choice

While in my first year of college, I was mainly working through the required core classes. Freshman experience, math, science, etc. For my humanities option, I chose Women and Religion. 

What a lucky occurrence! The professor was engaging and creative, the course was interesting and I looked forward to every class. When the semester drew to a close, I went up and talked to my professor. I told her how much I enjoyed the class and asked what she was teaching next semester. Unfortunately for me, all she was teaching next semester was Intro to Religion and she and I both agreed there would be no need to take that course. It was the catch all Humanities course that most people chose. She gave me the names of a few other professors she thought I might enjoy and encouraged me to find one of their classes. 

So I did. I signed for a class on Early Christianity that met on Saturday mornings at 8:00 am. 

Yes, you heard me right - 8:00 am. 

On a Saturday. 

Insanity. 

That first Saturday, when my alarm went off at 6:30 am and the rest of my household was intelligent and sound asleep, I dragged my tired booty out of bed and made the long drive into school. 

I'm so glad I did. 

This professor was amazing. One of the most intelligent people I have ever met. He brought the subject alive in ways I didn't think possible. He knew the answer to questions that everyone had and gave even more info than you asked for. He was a compassionate teacher too. He took time to reteach when needed and always made himself available for questions afterwards. 

I began to look forward to Saturday mornings and the early alarm clock. 

Thus began my love affair with Religious Studies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment