The child licks or kiss objects to show affection. He'll ask, "my pencil?" and when I answer yes - he'll kiss it. When he's concentrating, he'll often lick his hands. It's taken a little getting used to - but I see it now for what it is - an expression of love.
This family has a few holy books from their religion stored on the table where we work. They are set aside for use during their family time. Today, the child picked up one of the books - disregarding my instructions to put it down. I was pretty sure these books were not to be played around with. But he insisted on holding it and then, he brought the book to his mouth and gently kissed it.
I was struck in that moment.
This is a child who is often frustrated and will push or throw something when he's angry. I had been pushing him hard during tutoring and he had shown his frustration with me. But even with all the stress he had been feeling - he took a moment to show his reverence for what he loved.
I was inspired.
No comments:
Post a Comment