Friday, February 20, 2009

51/365 PTL

As I've mentioned before, I have often been accused of knowing what I did not know or being who I am not. It's happened before - I told you about the older lady who insisted that since I attended a Baptist church, I must be a fire and brimstone girl. Well, it happened in college too. 

One of my favorite professors was teaching a Religion and TV course. I had taken her courses before and we knew each other. On the first day of class, she had us all introduce ourselves. Then she jumped into an overview of the class. As she went through what we'd be talking about, she mentioned PTL

I had no idea was PTL was. But I figured she'd explain it. 

One of the other students stopped her and asked was PTL was. She replied - "Sara knows, she can tell you"

I told her I had no idea.

She kept insisting that I must know. That there was no way that I could have attended a Baptist church my whole life and not know. 

I swore I had no idea. 

I learned that day that PTL means Praise The Lord and was a religious show. It was a source of scandal and had a bad reputation. (You can see some footage here: http://www.tbn.org/index.php/2/4/p/85.html)

I remember smarting that day thinking - "Is this what people think I am? That because I'm Christian I'm this person?"

No comments:

Post a Comment