Thursday, February 12, 2009

43/365 A calling

Sometime in the summer of 98, I realized I knew what I wanted to do. I wanted to touch lives. I wanted to have a transformational impact on the lives of families. I wanted to be able to take what I had and use what I had been given and help other people. 

How to do that? I had no idea. 

Some people call this a calling. 

Some in the world of ministry call it a call from God. 

Whatever it was, I can clearly remember the moment. I was a camp counselor in Homestead in the middle of summer. That means days in the high 90's and no ac. I was loving every minute of it. I had a group of kids that I loved and enjoyed being with and I couldn't get enough. I wanted to do exactly that for the rest of my life. 

I also found myself singing this song nearly constantly. It seemed to be speaking to me. 

Jars of Clay - Like a Child


Dear god, surround me as I speak,
The bridges that I walk across are weak
Frustrations fill the void that I cant solely bear
Dear god, dont let me fall apart,
Youve held me close to you
I have turned away and searched for answers I cant understand

Chorus:

They say that I can move the mountains
And send them falling to the sea
They say that I can walk on water
If I would follow and believe
With faith like a child

Sometimes, when I feel miles away
And my eyes cant see your face
I wonder if Ive grown to lose the recklessness
I walked in light of you

[chorus]

Little girl:
Ive got joy like a fountain!
Be kind one to others
In jesus christ your son

They say that love can heal the broken
They say that hope can make you see
They say that faith can find a savior
If you would follow and believe
With faith like a child



I'm still learning what to do with this calling. 11 years later and I still feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment