Nearly everyone is familiar with the 1 Cor 13 chapter - it's the love one. You know, the one you hear at weddings? Love is patient, love is, love is, love is.....
I'd probably glossed over this verse assuming I had read it before. I also don't think I'd heard it in the King James Version.
Here's the version I'm familiar with (NIV)
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
Here's the King James Version:
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
I really like the working of "seeing through a glass, darkly". The book used imagery of standing inside of a church at dusk, peering out through the darken stained glass windows. How different everything can look and not quite accurate to reality.
It also reminded me of C.S. Lewis' idea that Earth and Narnia are but merely shadow lands of the true Aslan's country.
Maybe we are simply peering through life, trying to make sense of our worlds through a glass, darkly. Maybe we can't yet see it all.
If that's the case - then we need to tread cautiously with love and respect and kindness for all. Who are we to declare that we know exactly how God wants things done, who God wants admitted to Heaven and the only way to please God when we might not be even seeing reality correctly?
Just some thoughts to ponder.
Just some thoughts to ponder.
No comments:
Post a Comment