Wednesday, April 11, 2012

First hospital trip, but all is well

Today was eventful.

I slipped and fell in the shower this morning. Other than being sore and embarrassed, I was fine. I figured, no big deal and headed off to work.

During a break in classes, I called my doctor just to update them and see if there was anything I should be on the look out for. You can imagine my surprise when the reply was "Get to the hospital right away."

I paused and said "No, I think you misunderstood - I'm fine. No bleeding, no cramping, I'm fine."

The reply was the same - "Straight to the hospital."

Apparently, whenever you have a fall at this stage in pregnancy, you get to spend the rest of the day in labor and delivery triage.

So as soon as I could leave school, I headed to the hospital for my first trip to labor and delivery.

I assumed my first trip there would either be vising a new mommy or taking a tour with Matt. But, I was wrong.

Thankfully, everything is okay. Right away, they hooked me up and found good fetal heart tones. That was a relief, because I was a little stressed by that point. Then I was hooked up to the contraction monitor - which showed I was actually having some contractions! Since I wasn't experiencing any pain, they weren't worried. After all, the uterus contracts all the time.

I had some blood work done and finally an ultrasound. Everything seems fine, I even got a new picture of kiddo. That's a baby face staring right at you :)


After a few hours, I was discharged with orders for 24 hours bed rest and to not come back until I was ready to have the baby. I'm okay with both orders!

No comments:

Post a Comment