So things were set in motion. I would be attending the conference in Chicago with a group of volunteers and staff members. I knew everyone attending on some level - some better than others. I had never been to Chicago before and was excited to see the city. I also had NO clue what to expect from the conference. I remember someone telling me once that if you didn't have clear expectations, then you would never get enough out of a situation. But there was no way I could have had clear expectations. It was so completely foreign and new.
We flew in and went straight to the church. I use the word church loosely - because this was the BIGGEST church I have ever seen. It was HUGE - acres and acres. I didn't realize it was a church at first, it was so completely different from any church I had ever seen. There was no steeple, no stained class, but miles of parking. I thought it was an office complex at first.
A few of the people on the trip had been there before, and they really enjoyed watching the reactions of us newbies. They giggled when we finally realized that "this" was the church!
I had no idea what we were in for.
No comments:
Post a Comment