Friday, April 3, 2009

93/365 - The BIG conference (part 2)

When I told them that I was really flattered to have been included, but that I couldn't attend, they were surprised. I explained it had nothing to do with the conference, but everything to do with finances. This was when I received the second shock - they were prepared to pay nearly all of my expenses.

This was huge. This still remains one of those times I can clearly point to in my life and say "See, someone believed that I could do this!". They were willing to spend money on me. On me! They believed I was smart enough and had something unique to offer. They were making an investment.

For those of you who know me, you know the deep hurt that I have endured by these same people. I know that some of you have wondered how I could have stuck around for so long, why I let them do it. This was a big part of it. They weren't always hurtful. Yes, there were times when they offered praise in one second and then criticism in the next, but there was at least this moment when they sincerely seemed to value me.

No comments:

Post a Comment