Saturday, January 10, 2009

10/365 Baptism

Because I attended a baptist church, baptism was a huge part of becoming a Christian. It is taught that public baptism is an expression of faith, an act of obedience to do as Christ did and a way to give your testimony. In the baptist church I attended, full immersion baptism was practiced - meaning that you are put under the water so that it covers your head and body during the act of baptism. 

I decided to get baptized a few months after that first camp. So I attended the baptism classes, which were really just apologetics and a time to affirm that everyone who was interested in being baptized understood what it meant. We also practiced the physical act of baptism - holding on to the pastors arms, how to lean in with our weight, etc. We were instructed on how to dress, what to bring and what time to show up. 

Then the day came. 

I was excited, this was my chance to show everyone who was in attendance that I was a believer. It was my time to be in that spot I had watched for so many years. My moment to say, "Yes, I do believe". 

What I remember most about my baptism was that the water was warm and I was terrified of being dropped. 

I know this sounds silly, but I had never given thought to the temperature of the water. I mean, it was a small pool - big enough to hold 6 or more adults with water up to your waist. But as I stepped into it for the first time, it was warm - like a bath! Pleasant surprise!

As far as the fear of being dropped, well.... I was 13. And the most embarrassing thing I could imagine was the pastor dropping me, then me sputtering back up. I was so scared of this that my last words to the pastor were: "Please don't drop me!"

The baptism was a simple process. My pastor asked me if I believed in Jesus and that he died for my sins - I answered yes. He asked if I wanted to walk with Jesus forever - I answered yes. Then he said "Buried with Christ in baptism, arise and walk in newness of life". 

(Remember, I did whisper to him right before "Please don't drop me!")

Everyone clapped and was happy and I hurried off to dry off, change and get back to church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment